• Valkyria Chronicles   1 year 48 weeks ago

This is probably my favorite PS3 game of all time. There are many, many great games on the PS3, but this is the one I will always come back to no matter what - except I just bought it on Steam so I can enjoy it anywhere in the world I happen to be and can download and play it for an hour or two. Sadly, the sequel isn't as good - tons of more content, but at the expense of really powerful characters and story. It's a fun game. I enjoyed it very much, but it paled in comparison to the original. I'm hoping Steam ports over both VC2 and VC3, though. Here's hoping.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   1 year 49 weeks ago

I know this post was written quite some time ago, but I would just like to give my two cents in response to this. I played and really liked both Persona 2 games (besides the insanely high encounter rate). The fusions spells, demon negotiation, all the different areas to explore, they were kick ass games. But man, Persona 3? I bought 3 and 4 to add to my PS2 RPG collection and have logged about 60 hours into Persona 3. I actually don't mind grinding, Tartarus isn't the part that really bothered me. What bothered me was the feeling of being totally trapped all the time and having to wait for such long periods of time to progress the story. I don't mind having a long drawn out story, but I DO mind the "press x continuously and needlessly travel to the same areas over and over again" formula. This game gives you no freedom of exploration whatsoever, so why do I have to watch multiple loading screens and my characters little pin traveling to the mall every single time I want to go there? Perhaps these gripes are a bit over-stated. I actually did enjoy a lot of the game, but mostly because I am bored at work when I play it and it was the only game I had with me at the time. Yes the choices you make matter and yes the dating sim aspect is pretty decent, but there was never a single time where I had to really think hard about my decisions in battles. No real tactics besides "knock shit down and one shot it". I absolutely love JRPG's and I love the SMT series. Nocturne is fantastic. DDS is fantastic. Persona 3 just felt like I was spending so much time just waiting and I had to ask myself, Why am I doing this? This is a great game for people who love japan and want to feel immersed in the culture, I guess part of the problem for me is that I have already been living in Japan for several years. I live the culture over here every day and this type of fascination isn't really fascinating to me at all. If I want to make social links with characters, I can go out and actually practice speaking japanese with people. It's kinda hard to get immersed in a game that takes place in the place you already live lol. If you want a good RPG, play a tales game. Look the PS1 especially as there are so many Pure GEMS on that system. Valkyrie Profile, Suikoden 2, Tales of Eternia...the list goes on and on. I don't look for a hand holding easy game to play. I just want something that actually gives me some freedom of movement and isn't just a do 3 actions per day simulator with endless loading screens. P3 certainly isn't a bad game. It just isn't really a JRPG in the purest sense of the word. If you like towns, exploration, loot and character customization, and a deep battle system (pretty much what defines the genre) then look elsewhere. and for the record, if any of you FF XIII haters actually finished the game, you would realize that it has an awesome battle system at the very least. The story is kinda meh, but the battle system is deep and complex once you get further than 30 hours in.

• Overrated Game I Played this Generation - Spore   2 years 1 hour ago

i dont know how to download spore

• Illusion of Gaia   2 years 1 week ago

**possession, not position

• Illusion of Gaia   2 years 1 week ago

I completely agree with everything you wrote in this review. I just dusted this game off after at least 10 or 15 years and I was actually shocked at how horrible it was. The plot is completely incomprehensible and random. I like how you said that the Jackal gets torched by a deus ex machina -- that's spot on. In fact, the entire storyline seems like one deus ex machina after another. That particularly stood out to me when you leave the Sky Garden and, out of nowhere, Neil says that if you fly into the ocean then you can go to Mu, without ever mentioning why you need to go to Mu. And what the f*** was the point of the Mystic Statues? When you turn into Shadow and fly off to fight the comet (pretty lame plot point right there), it's revealed that all you needed to turn into Shadow was both Crystal Rings, which have been in your position since you visited the Gold Ship way back near the beginning of the game. So the majority of the game is just a giant waste of time. Sure, you free some slaves along the way but ... destroying the comet actually changes the course of history and none of that even matters.

P.S. I thought this review was well written. I'm not sure what that Anonymous guy's problem is.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 3 weeks ago

They won't drop it because not only do P3 and P4 make them money, but there is also the fact that P3 and P4 are under different directors and teams than P1 and P2. Katsura Hashino is not Satomi Tadashi.

It's practically a different series starting from P3.

Teen drama crap was kinda present in Innocent Sin as well. Goddamit Lisa and Eikichi :/

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 3 weeks ago

You get fatigued slower the higher your level becomes, and the more efficient battles are fought (basically translates to abuse the crap out of OneMore and All Out Attacks).
    The game has other anti-grinding features other than fatigue, such as EXP scaling to level, as well as the Reaper. A good way to gauge whether someone has grinded enough is to compare the levels of the enemies on the highest floors reached for a certain segment of the game to the levels of your party members.

Even then, it's not enough for the MC; you need to actually have good Personas for whatever situation, and grinding EXP for Personas is inefficient and generally not recommended unless they learn good skills in a skillset within a level or two. Fusion is a much more efficient way of levelling Personas due to SLINK EXP bonus (aka the benefit from the actual meat of the game which is the social sim aspect), and they turn out better than shuffle time Personas due to skill inheritence.

Also, the Portable version makes fatigue an even more non-issue due to two things.
    1. Tired status only kicks in if the characters say the "I'm tired quote" AND only on the next day. Meaning you could still use them until some other limit (lack of money for healing, no healing items or just plain don't want to grind anymore) in Great/Normal status.

2. Yawn-B-Gones. Doesn't work on sick status but it's very easy to stockpile them. Coupled with this is the fact that party members no longer leave automatically at Tartarus' floor even after getting tired/sick.

• Golden Axe: Beast Rider   2 years 5 weeks ago

I have this picture of Tyris Flare tattooed on my arm, I wondered if there was a fuller version of it available since I wanted to extend it down to the dragon?

• Mother 3   2 years 8 weeks ago
    uh

Most of MOTHER 3's songs don't appear anywhere else in the series. And you don't even specify why the stuff you correctly remembered was so bad. Which makes me think you haven't actually played the game or you're blinded by nostalgia for Earthbound.

Earthbound fans need to chill.

• Final Fantasy XIII   2 years 9 weeks ago

FFXIII is one of those games that is quite easy in the beginning, and then suddenly gets tougher at one point, and that's where the fun begins.
    FFXIII has a total of 13 chapters, and I believe that around chapter 9, the game moves on to a more strategic form, rather than just mashing accept.
    So the paradigm configuration is really important from there-on, otherwise you're toast once you initiate combat with the tougher enemies.

• Homeworld   2 years 12 weeks ago

I really must add this for my post to be complete:

.. .and it DID happen, that epic expedition, only because of the events in Mission 3 it was filled with tension and distress. This is one of the reasons which made Homeworld so unique and truly stand out among the other games.

• Homeworld   2 years 12 weeks ago

This game is worth all the time it could get.

Like the other people in the comments section said, to fully understand their motivation you have to read the Historical Briefing in the original Homeworld's manual and you have to play more than the first two missions (you have to play through the first THREE, to be specific).

The Kushan people had questioned if Kharak, their current home, actually belonged to them for a long time already in the prehistory of Homeworld. When they discovered the Guidestone, they became even more eager to find out about their true origin. They had known they would eventually need to leave Kharak but that was not intended to happen at the time of the Mothership's hyperdrive test (which is the beginnign of the game). The whole Mothership's journey was seen as an epic expedition, "to seek it out among the stars". But what happened in Mission 3, which the reviewer alas didn't have the time for, set the course of events for all the rest of the game.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 13 weeks ago

Last time I checked my entire time spent with P3 was "use the same one skill a million times to win".
    Exploit weakness, Exploit Weakness, Exploit Weakness, All Out Attack, Repeat.

Every single fight except boss fights.

To be fair I liked the game, just got bored of it.
    Ended up playing the PSP port of Persona 1, and its a much more enjoyable experience beyond the disgusting encounter rate.
    Probably because you have an option to skip attack animations, and exploiting weaknesses just makes you do more damage, not wipe an entire group of enemies in one go. You are also allowed to fight as much as you want, while P3 trys to stop you from grinding with the nonsense fatigue feature.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 14 weeks ago

THIS IS GOING TO SUCK WORSE THAN THE PSVITA

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 14 weeks ago

Rushing is not stupid, it's actually the best way to do, because you do the whole borefest in one go and you can spend the rest of the month by actually doing relevant things and have some fun.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 14 weeks ago

Social Links are good. Persona should be ONLY a visual novel/dating-sim with no shitty RPG added to the mix. Boring dungeons, weird-looking enemies (seriously, the design is horrible), the ability to have your whole party confused at the same time and not being able to do a thing, the retarded sword-dependant initiation of a battle that never seems to work, enemies that can OHKO your party members, the fact that you cannot revive your main hero even if you have Recarm, bosses that require no strategy and are just a boring 30-minute fight of healing and using abilities etc., basically, as a RPG, Persona 3+4 suck, as a visual novel, they're above average, as a dating-sim, they are actually pretty decent.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 14 weeks ago

It's a rubbish RPG and a rubbish visual novel, but a pretty fun dating sim.

• Chrono Trigger: Freud Across Time   2 years 15 weeks ago

Great game, by the way. I don't know what ATLAS was trying to do making CITIZENS OF EARTH, but I'll just pretend like that didn't happen. (thumbs up on ATLAS's involvement with Demon's Souls!and GOD MODE, but it should have lots of DLC and better matchmaking)

• Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare   2 years 16 weeks ago

call of duty modern warfare 4 game its wery wery proffesional for ME.But im not to play cod mw 4 im playing game cod 2

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 17 weeks ago

Fake story.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 17 weeks ago

you.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 17 weeks ago

If can't.

uhh..

...

bye.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 17 weeks ago

Close it.

Now.

for your own sake.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 17 weeks ago

well you my friend. do you think you're able to make a game better than this? you're just a gamer judging a company's game bro. nothing special.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 17 weeks ago

it's just an opinion you brat. everyone has their own likings in different and many games. if Greg Noe hates this game just let him be.