• Nintendo Power #37 - My First Video Game Magazine   3 years 8 weeks ago

I had gotten Metroid II for my birthday that year and really appreciated this issue showing me where everything was (I got to the Queen without the Varia, and after going back for it I discovered that I hadn't found enough missiles to actually kill her)! This is actually my favourite Nintendo Power, but that is because it is far more enjoyable if one is a fantasy gamer such as myself.

Dragon Strike is excellent if you've enough enthusiasm for dragon-fighting to pursue it. As shown in the Wikipedia article to which you linked, the original was a combat flight simulator that played quite differently from the NES top-down shooter version, but the NES version actually tried to reproduce several of the PC version's missions in 2D form. The stage maps were tiny, but the original dragon artwork was quite cool!

Aaron's comment about Arcana is spot on. I enjoyed it a lot, but as with so many of this issue's screenshot you really have to peer/squint very closely to see how cool it is...lol

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 14 weeks ago

With Persona 3, the downfall of the Persona series began.
    This great and epic series turned into a simplified and pussified dating sim with plastic pop music.
    Persona 1 and 2 were better as they:
    - were darker and more mature games
    - had better music (I like Meguro's work on Shin Megami Tensei, but plastic pop doesn't suit the real Persona)
    - were portraying a consistent world with Philemon, Nyarlathotep and Satomi Tadashi which were dropped in later games
    - allowed you to choose your companion's Personas
    - had demon negotiation
    - unlocked new personas with tarot cards. Jack Frost inheriting fire spells via demon fusion is not really plausible
    - had more unique demons instead of lazily reusing the Shin Megami Tensei monsters

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 16 weeks ago

Omg... I just have to say that the soundtrack in every SMT game is awesome, including P3... The soundtrack IS the game as much as the combat system, the demon fusion, the dialogue. It just makes the identity of the game.

• The Hobbit   3 years 16 weeks ago

That's a lie. You know nothing of good gaming. That game is excellent as everything related to Tolkien. Once, I ate an ice-cream that promoted Jackson's The Two Towers, and I tell you: It was the most delicious ice-cream ever!

• Chrono Trigger   3 years 17 weeks ago

I'll admit the fact that this game was a fantastic one ever. . I found it a bit inconsistent between how he spoke as a human being, then how he spoke as a frog. Still i enjoy playing this game. This can be categorized best game now and ever.! Thanks for remembering me the amazing game through your post.

• Okami   3 years 24 weeks ago

It is surely a good game but to much dialogue for me. Yeah I need a tutorial, yes I need interaction with the people but then release me from my chains! That didn't happend in Okami. Zelda has the right balance. Skyrim is almost to much freedom but in Okami I never fellt "free"...stopped after the fight against some sort ninja boss fight or something like that.

• Bioshock   3 years 26 weeks ago
    D:

Dude, Calm Down, We All Have Opinions. :l

• Link's Crossbow Training   3 years 26 weeks ago

Links Crossbow Training... 100/10

• Borderlands 2   3 years 28 weeks ago

Question, does the other 3 vault hunters come back somehow?

• Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life   3 years 30 weeks ago

Its not a great white shark, looks like a tiger shark but not a tiger shark either, they just use a generic shark shape!

• Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One   3 years 31 weeks ago

I got an excellent re-mastered compilation of the three titles. I have been playing Ratchet & Clank since the very beginning. This is still my favorite game series of all time. click here Well, I can finally play those PS2 classics in HD format.

• Sleeping Dogs   3 years 36 weeks ago

I bought Sleeping Dogs in the recent Steam sale. Great game, better than any GTA IMHO.

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night   3 years 37 weeks ago

I've only played through a single time as of yet and it's one of my favorite games, ever. As for the music not standing out? You've got to be kidding me. I remember every single track in the game, very classical victorian-era inspired with a memorable tune for every area of the game, completely fitting for the atmosphere. Can you say that about 99% of Beethoven or Vivaldi's music? Michiru Yamane is one of the best female videogame composers around and a pioneer for the industry as far as I'm concerned. For you to write it off as something that doesn't really stand out is flat out wrong. The graphics are super detailed for small scale pixel art and flawless for its time, try looking at one of the area or boss sprites and you'll see what I'm talking about. See, I hate stupid biased reviews like this. I don't care if you didn't like the first hour of the game and that's the ongoing theme for this site. SOTN is not meant to be played and enjoyed in a single hour. I don't understand why you chose it as such. You have to take it in. Don't review it if you don't understand it because people will actually read this and believe it.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 38 weeks ago

I get how the game comes to be too repetitive and that the characters talk too much. But I would disagree with some of the things said about tartarus. It isn't a bad thing that you can't see the monster you're about to fight before you fight it. It isn't a big deal if the monster is too tough for you, because you can run away. Pokemon doesn't let you know what you're about to fight, but no one complains about that?
    And it's not actually a big deal that characters are harassing you about hanging out, because all they're doing is offering you the opportunity to build their social link. If you want them to stop, complete their social link. Then they so talking to you and you can live happily ever after with chihiro.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 42 weeks ago

"Because we aren't discussing of it as a game of general mean, we're specifically talking about Jrpg here. Try to compare this game's battle system with any other Rpg will make it look really bad. You like garbage, it's your choice, but saying rubbish is great just makes no sense.

From the view of a long time rpg player, I'd say this game failed in rpg genre, but definitely succeeded in visual novel and dating sim category. You like the latter genres then of course this game suits you well, but don't , just please don't praise it as a good rpg."

Sure , you're an experienced rpg player good for you. Lets not repect other peoples opinion and assume they only play garbage games.
    As a gamer ( not rpg player per se ) I like Persona 3. Sure the battle system is not the best, but the overall feel it has is better than many other "respected " titles ( Tales of Xillia comes to mind ) . I'm pretty sure that I have a good feeling what makes a good game ( for me ) as one has been around since the Missile Command on the atari 2600 days. Plenty of rpg's among those too

The problem with your post is not that voice your opinion. Think that persona 3 is garbage all you want. Thinking that your opinion is worth more than anothers however is utter BS.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 44 weeks ago

Good side: this game is fun. answering the question is fun. for me tho. it's like i can be me, i got option to chose. and it's three option! not just 2. eheh. and i pretty like tartarus. it's so challanging for me like i need to owned each block. need to get stronger until all enemies i've found are distressed. the story is good too. i've laughed to some convos between junpei and yukari xD i play this game (Persona 3 Portable). i like how tricky the enemies are. like there's an enemy with ice symbol on it's head. i thought it's power is ice.but then it's their weakness. (some shows their power, some shows their wekness lol)

Bad side: well, need to read the guides tho. the class quiz.. well i thought if i pay attention to what the teacher say i can find the answer but no (some might be yes or is it just me. i need to google every question. i swear i've read the text what the teacher say. a lot battle tips to fight boss. i didn't read the guides that time i keep using my magic (zio) to fight the 3rd boss (i think) then i keep dying for many times. when i try carefully just to use attack or bash like that the boss would never use it's deathly skill -___- and also the fusing tips, our charms, academics, bla bla bla guide guideguide..
    *plus for the P3P: i hate how useless Orpheus is! we all want our first hero became the strongest ay?

Boring side: velvet room is boring! like gosh i've spent most of times just to see and learn about fusing thingy and some of elizabeth's request are clueless........... :'(

fyi i didn't follow the walkthrough at all. i've play p3p, p3fes, and p4. i re-playing P3P just now and it's still addicting.

• Bit.Trip Runner   3 years 45 weeks ago

Yeah, that was my exact problem with the game. I tried playing with the sound on and the sound muted, and played far better with the sound muted. I would love the game if only it asked me to press buttons in time with the music, but it doesn’t – the music can only be appreciated by a spectator, not the player. The music is just a distraction to the player.

Sadly, the sequel Runner2 has the same problem. At least the standalone music-only soundtracks to the games are nice – though not as nice as the in-game music with the obstacle-clear sound effects.

• Mount & Blade: Warband   3 years 48 weeks ago

Except on the start of the game,when you must accept the quest of the merchant of Shariz/Sargoth/Wercheg/Suno/Uxhall,you can do whatever you want.You can pass all the game raiding caravans,or villages,if you are in to it.Of course,every caravan and village,or a castle or city,have a owner and a faction,and every militar action you commit provokes some reaction of the faction you offended.Don't have a main quest,at least the game don't oblige you to acomplish,that is to be the Ruler of all Calradia.To do it you need first to be a mercenary(other cool job you can find on the game) of one of the factions,after gain enough respect of their ruler,giving victories to the faction,you will be a lord,get some fiefs...resuming,you will advance with this faction.Everything you do creates renown,and,after a war,you the faction and you was sucessfull,right to rule.Don't have so many rpg's with this caracteristics,no?And we have so many atributtes to mix on the game,to use on the map,to discipline your party(that grows bigger and bigger,while the game advances),to loot(i hate loot),for example.And you need to use diplomacy with people that you recruit on the cities,that you can say that they are your captains.One don't like of the other,like job colleagues...The detail that don't have any magic on the entire game,and franchise,makes it unique,too.I love this game,love slash an archer while riding at hi-velocity on the battlefield.The only complait that i have is on the sieges,that you cannot use catapults,battering rams,command any unity accordally to a sucessfull siege,as you can do on the Total War Medieval.You know,you crash the wall with big flaming rocks,or send a siege tower front the wall,and the infantry on the tower waves on the retainers,opens the gates,and the cavalry wave the enemies inside.I hope they will change to something like that on the sequel,bannerlord.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 49 weeks ago

this whole post went from valid debate to a bunch of screaming whining children all calling each other stupid for having an opinion *slow clap* way to make a good impression on the gaming community

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 51 weeks ago

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Persona series (although looking at the other comments, people despise it, too), and I am finding it awesome, and a very unique and enjoyable gameplay experience.
    FOR ME.
    If I had to be honest here, the gameplay DOES suck in several ways.

1. The difficulty and gameplay
    This game is unforgiving at times, and party A.I. can be stupid (what else do you expect from A.I., though?) on more than enough occasions. The battle system was pretty good, I thought. The idea of having an additional move after knocking down an enemy, and the enemy being able to do the same to you was pretty cool to me at the time, and still is. And the SAME FREAKING DUNGEON FOR THE ENTIRE GAME I wasn't too happy about that, either. In the beginning of the game, I thought Tartarus was just an early-game dungeon that I'd literally go there for the tutorial and never come back. But nope. I had to go back there over... and over... and over again! Eh. I got over it.
    Seriously, though. Once you play through a decent portion of the game, you'll find yourself able to pace yourself and get used to how you play the game. Grinding will be minimal, and you can balance it with activities outside of battling.

2. The repetition of the game
    Let me just say this; I COMPLETELY understand anyone who says this game is repetitive sometimes, or all the time. Tartarus is pretty bland and boring, for sure. Climbing through the same boring, randomly-generated tower gets monotonous pretty damn quickly, and the same battles over and over again aren't helping. As for social links... I have yet to see a concept like this in any other RPG yet (or maybe I just don't play enough of them). They add an interesting gameplay mechanic to the game, and you can really see the characters develop as you progress their social link. Sure, having the same formula for each day (i.e. go to school, hang out w/ social link, sing karaoke in the evening) might turn people off the game (understandably) but I'm not really bothered by that.

3. Uhh... Music? Or plot? I dunno.
    Music? I didn't really get it at first, but it wasn't like I minded it. In fact, after awhile, I started to really enjoy it, in the game or on my MP3. Some songs, especially close to the end of the game (if you're gonna play that far), are really nice and memorable. The progressive-style themes of Tartarus and a dungeon in the epilogue included in FES sound boring and kind of bad, but later in the game, you can change the dungeon theme to several others whenever you want. All you have to do is make it to that point in the game...
    Plot? When you get to the end, sh*t gets serious, dude. It IS pretty lackluster when you first start off, but it gets really good if you progress enough. Even though the protagonist is silent, he still feels pretty cool to me (also emo-looking, but I fell like that sometimes, too XD), and I feel the protagonist creates some nice bonds with others that most people WISH they could have with other people.

4. Other random stuff
    If you play a Persona game, expect a "Frakking Endless Story", at least in the introduction. That is DEFINITELY a bad thing about these games; they take too damn long to start. Have your finger/thumb on the X button and get ready to button-mash for a few hours, because literally all you get is dialogue. The anime cutscenes sort of clash with the feel of the game (going from simple polygons on screen to anime cutscenes) and they are confusing at times, but most are explained later in the game (or you can draw your own conclusions if you want) and make complete sense if why the developers bothered to show you the cutscene.
    This game is LONG. Like, REALLY LONG. Anyone reading this should have plenty of time on their hands, since you'll be sitting in front of a television for 70+ hours, at least.

5. Conclusion
    Persona is a great game series, but obviously not for anyone. Looking back, this series has very many outstanding and significant flaws, but people can look past them and enjoy the good parts of the game. That's WHY this series has a strong fanbase to begin with. Your review makes some excellent points, but you could easily argue that the game is much better than you make it seem. In the end, it is unique among RPGs/JRPGs and certainly not everyone can enjoy it. But, for those who do enjoy it, it's an awesome game.

(Also, I'm completely aware of the fact that I'm posting this on a nearly-4-year-old review, but I felt the need to give my thoughts and opinion as well. Besides, you said you still read these reviews, so I'm hoping you'll read this one too.)

• Pikmin   3 years 51 weeks ago

these are japanese and beta screenshoots

• Tales of Legendia   4 years 6 days ago

Nice post. I'm playing this right now. I'm a growing fan of the series, having played every previous issue and some later ones, so my point of view is kind of different. But there's nothing wrong written here.

Also, thanks for the skit capture. I made use of it. Despite I don't specially like Norma.

• Hitman   4 years 1 week ago

i really love you films and games i wash i cloud see you.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 1 week ago

I will have to agree on the battle system parts from Persona 3. F.E.S. didn't fix anything, and even nerfed a few things, from the original (which is what I play, screw the extra content, I like my gimmicks.) Persona 4, however, did well to fix this problem, along with a couple others.

I believe the reason this game has such a concrete progression structure is to challenge the player to get as much done as they can in order to have the strongest team with the best S. Links. Also to assume a role of another person/character. While the protagonist isn't voiced (Probably for the better.) it still lets you convey choices and such which affect your experience and progression in the game. While this -is- a JRPG, I do not consider it to be the same type of JRPG as Final Fantasy (which I abhor. But we won't go into that). These two games share many core gameplay aesthetics, but the games are vastly different in core gameplay mechanics. Day-by-day progression in Persona makes it a very different game than FF. You don't plan for your next night in FF, because there isn't one unless the story actually makes the time progress itself. Quite a bit different.

A review is not a very constructive one when you have to hold a cardboard cutout of another game over it to analyze what it does or doesn't have. Games are different from each other. Even if they're both a "JRPG."

Not all games are for everyone. As much as we may want to think so. The degrees of abnegation a player desires can determine what game they want to play as much as their desire for conquest, a solid story, or any other number of things people seek in games. Persona 3 fit my bill perfectly, it didn't fit yours. That's all there is to it.

200+ hours in P3, 240+ in P4. Zero hours in any Final Fantasy game (aside from the one or two I gave a few of them) No regrets here.

• Borderlands 2 - Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty   4 years 2 weeks ago

The only wishlist I would add to Borderlands 2 is if the map is larger, just like the one in GTA5. Just kinda feel the current map in Borderlands is kinda restricted to the storyline.