• Illusion of Gaia   2 years 48 weeks ago

**possession, not position

• Illusion of Gaia   2 years 48 weeks ago

I completely agree with everything you wrote in this review. I just dusted this game off after at least 10 or 15 years and I was actually shocked at how horrible it was. The plot is completely incomprehensible and random. I like how you said that the Jackal gets torched by a deus ex machina -- that's spot on. In fact, the entire storyline seems like one deus ex machina after another. That particularly stood out to me when you leave the Sky Garden and, out of nowhere, Neil says that if you fly into the ocean then you can go to Mu, without ever mentioning why you need to go to Mu. And what the f*** was the point of the Mystic Statues? When you turn into Shadow and fly off to fight the comet (pretty lame plot point right there), it's revealed that all you needed to turn into Shadow was both Crystal Rings, which have been in your position since you visited the Gold Ship way back near the beginning of the game. So the majority of the game is just a giant waste of time. Sure, you free some slaves along the way but ... destroying the comet actually changes the course of history and none of that even matters.

P.S. I thought this review was well written. I'm not sure what that Anonymous guy's problem is.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 49 weeks ago

They won't drop it because not only do P3 and P4 make them money, but there is also the fact that P3 and P4 are under different directors and teams than P1 and P2. Katsura Hashino is not Satomi Tadashi.

It's practically a different series starting from P3.

Teen drama crap was kinda present in Innocent Sin as well. Goddamit Lisa and Eikichi :/

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   2 years 49 weeks ago

You get fatigued slower the higher your level becomes, and the more efficient battles are fought (basically translates to abuse the crap out of OneMore and All Out Attacks).
    The game has other anti-grinding features other than fatigue, such as EXP scaling to level, as well as the Reaper. A good way to gauge whether someone has grinded enough is to compare the levels of the enemies on the highest floors reached for a certain segment of the game to the levels of your party members.

Even then, it's not enough for the MC; you need to actually have good Personas for whatever situation, and grinding EXP for Personas is inefficient and generally not recommended unless they learn good skills in a skillset within a level or two. Fusion is a much more efficient way of levelling Personas due to SLINK EXP bonus (aka the benefit from the actual meat of the game which is the social sim aspect), and they turn out better than shuffle time Personas due to skill inheritence.

Also, the Portable version makes fatigue an even more non-issue due to two things.
    1. Tired status only kicks in if the characters say the "I'm tired quote" AND only on the next day. Meaning you could still use them until some other limit (lack of money for healing, no healing items or just plain don't want to grind anymore) in Great/Normal status.

2. Yawn-B-Gones. Doesn't work on sick status but it's very easy to stockpile them. Coupled with this is the fact that party members no longer leave automatically at Tartarus' floor even after getting tired/sick.

• Golden Axe: Beast Rider   3 years 2 days ago

I have this picture of Tyris Flare tattooed on my arm, I wondered if there was a fuller version of it available since I wanted to extend it down to the dragon?

• Mother 3   3 years 3 weeks ago
    uh

Most of MOTHER 3's songs don't appear anywhere else in the series. And you don't even specify why the stuff you correctly remembered was so bad. Which makes me think you haven't actually played the game or you're blinded by nostalgia for Earthbound.

Earthbound fans need to chill.

• Final Fantasy XIII   3 years 3 weeks ago

FFXIII is one of those games that is quite easy in the beginning, and then suddenly gets tougher at one point, and that's where the fun begins.
    FFXIII has a total of 13 chapters, and I believe that around chapter 9, the game moves on to a more strategic form, rather than just mashing accept.
    So the paradigm configuration is really important from there-on, otherwise you're toast once you initiate combat with the tougher enemies.

• Homeworld   3 years 6 weeks ago

I really must add this for my post to be complete:

.. .and it DID happen, that epic expedition, only because of the events in Mission 3 it was filled with tension and distress. This is one of the reasons which made Homeworld so unique and truly stand out among the other games.

• Homeworld   3 years 6 weeks ago

This game is worth all the time it could get.

Like the other people in the comments section said, to fully understand their motivation you have to read the Historical Briefing in the original Homeworld's manual and you have to play more than the first two missions (you have to play through the first THREE, to be specific).

The Kushan people had questioned if Kharak, their current home, actually belonged to them for a long time already in the prehistory of Homeworld. When they discovered the Guidestone, they became even more eager to find out about their true origin. They had known they would eventually need to leave Kharak but that was not intended to happen at the time of the Mothership's hyperdrive test (which is the beginnign of the game). The whole Mothership's journey was seen as an epic expedition, "to seek it out among the stars". But what happened in Mission 3, which the reviewer alas didn't have the time for, set the course of events for all the rest of the game.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 7 weeks ago

Last time I checked my entire time spent with P3 was "use the same one skill a million times to win".
    Exploit weakness, Exploit Weakness, Exploit Weakness, All Out Attack, Repeat.

Every single fight except boss fights.

To be fair I liked the game, just got bored of it.
    Ended up playing the PSP port of Persona 1, and its a much more enjoyable experience beyond the disgusting encounter rate.
    Probably because you have an option to skip attack animations, and exploiting weaknesses just makes you do more damage, not wipe an entire group of enemies in one go. You are also allowed to fight as much as you want, while P3 trys to stop you from grinding with the nonsense fatigue feature.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 9 weeks ago

THIS IS GOING TO SUCK WORSE THAN THE PSVITA

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 9 weeks ago

Rushing is not stupid, it's actually the best way to do, because you do the whole borefest in one go and you can spend the rest of the month by actually doing relevant things and have some fun.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 9 weeks ago

Social Links are good. Persona should be ONLY a visual novel/dating-sim with no shitty RPG added to the mix. Boring dungeons, weird-looking enemies (seriously, the design is horrible), the ability to have your whole party confused at the same time and not being able to do a thing, the retarded sword-dependant initiation of a battle that never seems to work, enemies that can OHKO your party members, the fact that you cannot revive your main hero even if you have Recarm, bosses that require no strategy and are just a boring 30-minute fight of healing and using abilities etc., basically, as a RPG, Persona 3+4 suck, as a visual novel, they're above average, as a dating-sim, they are actually pretty decent.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 9 weeks ago

It's a rubbish RPG and a rubbish visual novel, but a pretty fun dating sim.

• Chrono Trigger: Freud Across Time   3 years 9 weeks ago

Great game, by the way. I don't know what ATLAS was trying to do making CITIZENS OF EARTH, but I'll just pretend like that didn't happen. (thumbs up on ATLAS's involvement with Demon's Souls!and GOD MODE, but it should have lots of DLC and better matchmaking)

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 12 weeks ago

Fake story.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 12 weeks ago

you.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 12 weeks ago

If can't.

uhh..

...

bye.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 12 weeks ago

Close it.

Now.

for your own sake.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 12 weeks ago

well you my friend. do you think you're able to make a game better than this? you're just a gamer judging a company's game bro. nothing special.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 12 weeks ago

it's just an opinion you brat. everyone has their own likings in different and many games. if Greg Noe hates this game just let him be.

• Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny   3 years 12 weeks ago

How and why you make the two go together? I see some parts to me are fun!

• Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure   3 years 17 weeks ago

I'm curious as to whether you ever came back to this game! Ironically, considering your remark about the... anti-epic? nature of the game ("plenty of RPGs start out similar to Rhapsody, but you always get this foreboding feeling that the village may burn down at any minute or your dad will be killed"), soon after the point where you stopped playing things start to pick up. Cornet and the prince are about to fall in love and live happily ever after when Marjoly appears, turning the prince to stone and kidnapping him. The remainder of the game is spent adventuring to various locales and fighting monsters on a quest to save him. Near the end we learn (spoiler alert!) that Kururu is really Cornet's mother, who on her deathbed transformed herself into a puppet so that she could continue to watch over and protect Cornet in a way. So yeah, the game is not without some deep emotional moments. But overall the tone remains humourous, campy, and melodramatic. Which is great - that's its biggest appeal for me (god knows the battle system isn't anything to write home about). And I'm not going to argue it's not a girl game, but it's definitely not a traditional girl game, and I can see why it has more cross-gender appeal in Japan; as mentioned, the "dress contest" portion gives way to the "adventuring" portion fairly early on, and Cornet's prince infatuation is portrayed with such a tongue-in-cheek tone that someone like me, who wouldn't be able to take a similar plot point seriously, could enjoy the humour without being able to relate. Heck, Cornet's rescuing of the Prince is basically as anti-Disney princess as you can get.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 20 weeks ago

Persona 1 is crap. The dungeon design is awful and tedious. The random encounter rate borders on obnoxious. Battles are not fun. As in most JRPGs, most normal enemies can be defeated with physical attacks while most bosses are defeated by simply spamming your best attacks and healing when needed. The grid system is more of an inconvenience than a challenge. The characters are one-dimensional and lame. The dialogue is wooden and embarrassing. Everything about the game is amateurish.

It's not even "darker" or "more mature" than Persona 3. If you can handle the opening animation sequence of Persona 3, then there's absolutely nothing about Persona 1's plot that would scare you away.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   3 years 21 weeks ago

Well, aren't you a dick?