• Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny   4 years 14 weeks ago

Having the two characters in one body is a way for them to address complaints about the lack of gender diversity in the Harvest Moon games. As you play through the game, you're simultaneously strengthening the boy's relationships with the female love interests while the girl gets to know her potential male suitors.

All of the marriage stuff is a side plot, though, and doesn't have anything to do with the main story.

• Illusion of Gaia   4 years 14 weeks ago

SquareEnix, Square comes first in there new name, why? Because it's was a much better company.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 14 weeks ago

this dosen't suck
    you suck

• Mobile Minute: Temple Run 2, Subway Surfers, and Super Hexagon   4 years 14 weeks ago

Temple Run is the best one. Although I don't like Super Hexagon because it's quite difficult to play.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 16 weeks ago

Ditto. Couldn't put it better myself. Also... you missed a treat with Valkyrie Profile 2.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 16 weeks ago

The main focus of a Jrpgs is the importance of both Story/Characters and Gameplay/Battle system. I actually enjoy the plot here and some characters do grow on me. But look at the gameplay. Just gotta say, it disgusts me.

Almost no customization for the battles, lame-ass and only one dungeon available for the whole game, strategy is pretty irrelevant due to shitty AIs and fixed skill sets for other characters...the game easily becomes repetitive.

What does it try to do? It implements the fuking VISUAL NOVEL+DATING SIM style into a BATTLE game series, totally ruined my expectation of the series after the wonderful experience I had with Persona2. If I really wanted a sim game, I would buy one, but now, just wonder why the hell do I have to play a sim game that disguises as a rpg.

Make a survey and you'll see, the rage is mostly from those who've been long time rpg fan while I must admit for people who aren't familiar with rpgs in general and also for young males+female community, this game might be player friendly for them. But Lord, please save the old rpg fandom from this trashy gaming trend.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 16 weeks ago

and I'm sure that a lot of people would agree with me. this is a very highly rated game. it sounds to me like you are just trying to be the rebel "game reviewer" the quote marks are there to emphasize that you suck at reviewing games so stop trying to review games cause its insulting to people who can really appreciate a good game.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 16 weeks ago

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 19 weeks ago

I understand u thinking the game is a little redundant, hell it's A LOT redundant, but it's a good game none the less, and I admit that some of the bosses( floor bosses, not full moon) don't require strategy to beat they require LUCK and a damn lot of it....but that's only one or two that pissed me off in that regard, the game itself has an original concept it's not the old run around going from place to place fighting random battles for exp or cash... It does have that it wouldn't be an RPG if it didn't, but they give you more to worry about than just if your level is sufficient enough to kill the next boss and progress the story... Not being able to control every character does suck but if you know how to use the commands properly they WILL do what you want them to, you just gotta learn how to manipulate the AI. The persona system is beautiful again it's more about proper skill placement then it is about stronger characters. All in all, this is a wonderful example how RPGs need to have more strategy based stories and gameplay rather than just let me level to 99 in the first dungeon so I can kick everyone's ass.

So dude give it a try and look at it for what it really is an awesome game that strategy is needed more than power. PS I am a fan of all RPGs starting from FF1 on the NES and that includes FF13 (dramatic gasps) YES I ENJOYED FF13!! But seriously stop whining about this game, and give it a chance Oh and persona 4 let's you control ALL characters not just the MC!

Ps sorry for the horrid punctuation and grammar, possibly even the spelling I'm using my iPhone at the moment while im at work!

• Chrono Cross: The Best Worst Sequel of All Time   4 years 20 weeks ago

Chrono Cross is about alternate universes, so who is to say that the worlds in Chrono Cross are from when Lavos was beaten in 1000 AD? When Chrono and the gang defeated Lavos in 1000AD as one of the endings, the dark age had already happened as in magic collapsing in 12,000 BC, so there was time for humanity to recover, allowing technology to recover as it was in the beginning of Chrono Trigger. Another ending in Chrono Trigger was Magus going back to 12,000BC to take on Lavos before the collapse of magic. Since Lavos was the cause of the collapse of magic, that would mean if Magus was successful, there would be no dark age, or at least any time soon. So unless it tells us exactly what time line Chrono Cross is on (which I personally don't recall and is why I'm replaying it), we can't assume this is 20 years after the beginning of Chrono Trigger.

• Chrono Cross: The Best Worst Sequel of All Time   4 years 20 weeks ago

My only problem with your expectations of Chrono Cross was your time travel comment. Time travel was for Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross is all about alternated universes.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 20 weeks ago

Hi, as it seems, you still read the comments here so i thought it isn't a bad idea to post my reflections here.

1) The monotony - I've read most of the comments and i'm around 110F atm. When i started, the most off-putting were: flash sim dating game setup - a lot of this game feels... and just to be honest simply IS a 90's style funky pimped sim dating game; I'm shocked no one mentions it anywhere. Studying and moralization - as much as i like japanese things, being forced to study like a stereotypical asian kid when all other stats get maxed by accident and then get moralized by everyone and everything in the game about how i should study more instead of progressing with s.links / tartarus felt just bad.
    Soon the whole tartarus started feeling like a big grindfest and as much as i've found s.links to be an interesting device to tell the story it all felt like monotonous grindfest (and still does, it's getting worse so far).
    Fusing was nice apart from the fact that most of the time i have too little space for all the personae i want and keeping item bearing personae is just a bad idea at least for the most of the game. And i said "was" because now that i really know what i'm doing when fusing, spending 3h with RNG waiting for a good skill set to be inherited is an awful chore.
    Forced overleveling also feels bad - and here comes the funny part - every one seems to say how they, as hardcore gamers, think that it's a good thing that this game and smts in general are hard and challenging and that's what makes this games good. I'm sorry what!? smt1 was -maybe- challenging, but this game is just plain easy. I'd change to hard if it didn't require me to start the game anew and then AI flaws and few other things like 'situations when by accident you find yourself in a position when the only thing you can do is to watch as the whole pt gets wiped out' would make this game more annoying rather than challenging. The only reason for overleveling is calendar; I'm "fighting" with time, i can't change pt eq outside of tartarus, sometimes there's just nothing else to do but to go to tartarus and once i'm there not getting the most of it - like extra requests, personae fusion grinding, leveling up my weaker teammates (who, contrary to what was said in game, simply cannot level up on their own once the split up and defeat shadows commands were issued) or getting more gold to mess with with fusing weapons etc - feels terribly wrong.
    And now a note to the author:
    Most of the problems you experienced were due to the fact you weren't thinking almost at all. No, really, i'm not calling you "stupid" nor bashing or anything like that it's just that you remind me of an old stiff inflexible person using a computer "i want to print out that document, instead of looking for a printing button that probably looks like a printer and is there where all the buttons are i'll call each and every person i know (gamefaqs and manuals :P) and ask them where this stupid button is and after the "please insert paper" (scan enemies) message appear instead of reading it i'll call the manufacturer (write a rant) telling him the printer (game) is broken" . If you don't scan the enemy, friendly AI won't work properly. Mitsuru's Marin Karin (charm) really isn't that bad (although the fact that after it lands everyone in your team suddenly tries to kill that monster as fast as possible... ugh, that's probably because it's a good thing on almost any other status debuff and if devs gave mitsuru any other debuff, the player could learn that unlike in other jrpgs debuffs are usefull in this game, it took me quite some time getting how to use them properly and why elemental spells are not the only skills worthwhile ), and you have to read what the game tells you as there is quite a lot of useful stuff and admittedly once you omit it finding out a lot of it on your own is bloody unintuitive.

2) Imho there's some misconception here in comments: JRPG means RPG - "Role Playing" and "Game" while RPG means "Climatic" and "Grinding/Character stats progression" (take away Torment).

3) I though that anime cutscenes were a bad idea for this type of game but they were by far the most enjoyable moments in this game for me.

In conclusion; i'm enjoying the game; "overhyped" is a great description of this game, but it's "overhyped for a reason". The game really has some serious flaws.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 21 weeks ago

I love you, exactly my thoughts when reading this whiny review.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 21 weeks ago

P4: ZOMG we are bored kids with no problems in our lives, hey look. A MYSTERY.

P3: Real people with real problems.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 21 weeks ago

This game tried to immerse me and make me interact with characters. OMG it sucks. I want my plot handed to me on a shiney platter. FFXIII is the BEST Man. I love how linear and pretty it is. Screw games that give you options that CHANGE THE GAME. How lame is that. Gosh. And DAMN I had to work to beat battles. UG. WHY. Why do I have to THINK. Waaaa I want games to feel like a movie where I get to kill things.
    This is what your review reads like.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 22 weeks ago

Want an easy game? Then play FFIX and X. It's really getting old AND annoying to play games where the MC gets the girl in the end and stuff.
    And what was that? The MC is "emo"? If that's reason enough for you to not even bother starting this game then I don't know what to say... You're like this kid that heard people bashing on emos and thought you'd be considered "cool" if you did so too. It doesn't matter if he's emo or not(which I think he isn't), there is a saying that rolls around the net that Atlus games are, for the most part, made only for specific genre fans. You can't just start playing a game because it has a large amount of good reviews and that kind of thing. This game is a challenge in every aspect - the battle system challenges you, the s. link system challenges you, the passing days challenge you, and last but not least, tartarus challenges you the most. If there isn't a specific place, like in other games, where you can go and grind for a sick amount of level-ups, fighting strong enemies that serve that one purpose, then there is no need to do it. I have tried to beat this game only with initial personae, and that made me like it even more. If there is a game you can't beat in a sort of "level one challenge" then that indicates that this game is good. You are not meant to breeze through the game like FFIX, you can never get too overpowered unless you just want to see if you can. Maybe I'm wrong, but most of the persona games emphasize on building a set of personas and leveling them good enough, instead of just summoning the highest level persona you can get and hope you can kill things just because it's skills are a high rank and do more damage. People who just start a game for the sake of finishing it should think twice before starting this one. This game progresses alongside you. True, the plot progress is slow-ish, but if you can endure it, you'll be more than satisfied in the end. Okay, this got a little off.

• Drawn to Life   4 years 22 weeks ago

I think that Drawn to Life isn't as bad as you make it seem.
    I can agree with you on the tedious gameplay- and as much as I love to draw I'm not a perfect pixel artist either. I think that the levels are fine as sidescrolling- once you play it through once, you know what's going to happen. And the bosses don't make you rage quit like other games. The ending was a little long, and stupid as well. And I HATED always going to the mayor. It's just putting a page in a book- I'd rather more levels over that.
    But what hit me most was that it's called "Drawn to Life" but it's not really drawing at all. It's just a bunch of boxes that you color in, basically. It wasn't as fun like that.
    But I enjoyed the sounds, and keep in mind that this was directed for little kids. :)

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 23 weeks ago

This game is garbage no RPGs ovverated crap

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 24 weeks ago

dude lighten up it's just an opinion, i mean i love the game to death to but if he don't like it he don't like it.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 25 weeks ago

Yeah, they do S-links b/c many people grind to level up skills/levels in games, to do that in P3 you actually played through a story and watch a person deal with a conflict. Interesting solution, I don't think they should get rid of s-links, just alter them so they aren't so restrictive. Really, you have a cell phone and don't have the ability to call any of the 4-5 girls that like you at night? There's a movie theater, it's not open when it gets dark? There's an entire strip mall filled with eateries, none open at night. And the game acts like your choices matter, but you can't really do what you want. I like that the game doesn't hold your hand in some ways, but at the same time it really doesn't give you too much information on the finer concepts.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 25 weeks ago

I agree, I haven't played other Atlus games besides Demon's Souls, which while good was derailed by poor level design and sub par graphics at times. As well the limit on items you could carry was ridiculous. Anyways, I'm working my way through FES and it's driving me nuts trying to get the Tower social link to happen. I think I've just totally missed the monk, and it's after I already decided to completely give up on 5-6 different social links. But, once I decided that x, y, and z s-links didn't matter it became much easier to continue. However, I do feel this is a problem with the game, you really can't get the best of both worlds. If you choose to try to get the rest of the S-links in New Game Plus it's you at level 90 in a new game, where as if you try to get all S-links in one game, well that's just infuriating.

The net is littered with comments and questions on message boards about trying to get the max s-link run completed, it's just such an insane amount of drama for such little reward. To me, that's a lot of why JRPGs don't get the same respect they did 10 years ago in the west. Obviously the truth is more to do with domestic gaming markets changing, but there does seem to be a sense that some of the beauty of the genre is fading. I remember setting up kinights of the round and linking it to something so it did ridiculous damage, then miming that skill. If that reference makes any sense to you then the persona analogy is in FES you can make these ultimate personas. Just carefully pick how you create all the different personas and it's possible for some personas to inherit every high level spell, or every support skill, but to do it you have to select and de-select and re-select the options from a menu. You pick one persona, then another, if you don't see the skills you want you go through it again, for like 3-4 hours. That's not anything I've tried, but even with trying to get some of the most basic useful personas it can be 20 minutes of cycling through the options and that will de-rail anyones gaming session.

But yeah, the game is full of things you wish you would have known 4 hours earlier, which gets quite annoying.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 25 weeks ago

Hey! The timed dungeon was the only thing cool about Phantom Hourglass!

Don't assume "people" is one big package, and Persona 3 is not a Classical-RPG. It's a Dungeon-RPG and the fact there is only one dungeon is something natural in this kind of games. I can understand the fact the author of this thread didn't like it, but it should be "How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese Dungeon-RPGs" instead... And you hadn't love for it anyway.

Personnaly, I love "calendar-setting" in a game like in Kingdom Hearts 356/2 Days or the Atelier series (I know either is considered quite boring), so of course Persona 3 and 4 have my love. It's repetitive but i find this really addictive... I just can't stop playing, that's all.

Anyway, Dongeon RPG is not so widely appreciated you know, so when the niche have a great game like Persona 3, they tend to be really loud about it. Zelda Phantom Hourglass, on the other hand, is one of the most selling Zelda of all time. So the public is not really the same.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 25 weeks ago

I really am. The problem is really only in the battle system in my opinion. I think I can understand what they were going for with having ai controlled characters (perhaps to emphasize that they have their own personalities?), but too many instances of horribly inefficient skill use/ spellcasting really grinds my gears. I would strongly agree with the list the anonymous user a couple below me posted, but for me it still wasn't enough to enjoy the game. I am fairly certain this is because I played Persona 4 first, and it ended up as one of my favorite games of all time. I think if anyone is thinking along similar lines to me, P3P is the way to go, I'm sure I can find a very cheap psp somewhere... but even in that case you miss out on the answer... maybe I'm being too nit picky, but I feel like I just can't enjoy this game (the ps2 version at least) no matter how hard I try.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 25 weeks ago

Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES were the best games i´ve played until now.
    Your opinion sucks...

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   4 years 26 weeks ago

There was a "Tactics" Section so you could assign your AI Characters specifics roles such as "Heal and Support"..........Just saying