• Overrated Game I Played this Generation - Spore   8 years 7 weeks ago

was I ever even the slightest bit interested in this game. Looks like I got lucky and made the right call.

I think Spore would be a good example of gaming version of "the Oscar movies". They are often critical darlings and also often commercial failures. Some games/movies are made to appease the tastes of critics and some are not.

• Overrated Game I Played this Generation - Spore   8 years 7 weeks ago

Never played the full game, but I had a blast with the free creature creator app that they released. I still hop back into it now and again when I just wanna get creative and make some weird monsters. All the reviews basically said this was a letdown, and I even ended up picking up Spore Creatures for the DS because the idea behind Spore is really wonderful, but how it was implemented was not.

• Overrated Game I Played this Generation - Spore   8 years 7 weeks ago

...but when it finally came out and I saw what it was, I was sooo disappointed. When it was first announced I was so excited for it, and I guess you're right, there's nothing it could do except disappoint. With all the hype, you'd think it was designed by Peter Molyneux.

• Sin & Punishment   8 years 8 weeks ago

This is one of a very few games I regret not playing. I'll have to convince someone with a Wii to buy the sequel so I can play it too :P

• I Wanna Be The Guy   8 years 8 weeks ago

Man I tried playing that game I even downloaded it just to see if I could actually pass the few couples of levels. After an hour trying to jump onto the frist platfirm in the apple one I gave up! Couldn't even pass the first level.

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 6   8 years 8 weeks ago

Nice and brief but plenty of discussion going on, great stuff.

Cave Story - I played it on PC over winter break and liked it a lot. Enough so that I decided Pixel deserved my money, so I bought it when it came to WiiWare. Haven't put much time into the WiiWare version, nice to see it getting some recognition, though.

NBA Jam - Yes please. It's coming to PS3 and 360 now as well, so I'll have to decide which version to grab. The arcadey nature fits the Wii perfectly though, but it's usually the case that the HD version will end up better.

• Alpha Protocol   8 years 8 weeks ago

Wow that minigame just looks dumb. People need to stop making stupid minigames for common actions too, maybe someone should write an article about that :P

Didn't Mass Effect use stat-based aiming too? I don't think it was that bad though, but starting with assault rifles seemed pretty poor.

And for the record, I oppose the use of the sega scream in any modern sega games, especially ones like this that have no relevance to the sega experience >_>

• Alpha Protocol   8 years 8 weeks ago

Here's a video of the hacking mini-game so readers can get an idea of what we're talking about.

• Alpha Protocol   8 years 8 weeks ago

Was gonna message you but didn't. I've been playing it a bit too. I think your assessment is spot on. And the mini games!!! Holy cow, I think I failed it about 6 times before I got it right. Uggh. Terrible. This one will most likely be going back to gamefly pretty soon.

• The Gaming Generation   8 years 8 weeks ago

Right now I have a stack of games I don't have time to play. I find myself wishing that games didn't take 20+ hours to finish.

• Half-Life 2   8 years 8 weeks ago

You'll have to try out Episodes 1 & 2. The final battle in episode 2 is one of my favorite levels from any FPS.

• LEGO Rock Band DS is the longtime sequel I've been waiting for   8 years 8 weeks ago

In a way. I've enjoyed a music game or two, but in general it's not something I spend time on. I don't have much affection for LEGO games, so there's really not much here to entice me.

• Picross 3D   8 years 8 weeks ago

I've finished a bit over 250 puzzles now. From the ten second easy puzzles to the ten minute hard ones, I'd say the average has taken me...six minutes? So yeah, that's 25 hours spent playing a $20 game. Definitely worth having unless you can't stand puzzle games.

And I too play the guessing game in the seconds prior to the revelation. I'm usually right, but sometimes way off the mark.

• The Gaming Generation   8 years 8 weeks ago

It seems like you either have one or the other for games, rarely both. Right now I don't have a lot of either, heh. Hopefully when I get some full-time work soon, I'll at least be able to buy all the games I want, even if I never get to really play them.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with an adult playing video games. What's wrong is that there are too many good games out there, I can't possibly keep up with even half of the ones I'd like to play!

• Half-Life 2   8 years 8 weeks ago

Seriously great game for its time, still stands up today. It was such an iconic game with everything circling around it like the source being leaked, Steam being released, such a long-time coming sequel, etc. Maybe the last most singular moment PC gaming had? WoW was rolled out so slow I don't think you could compare them (actually World of Warcraft was only released a week after HL2... never mind). Maybe StarCraft 2 will triumph it, maybe the Orange Box already did?

• Red Dead Revolver   8 years 9 weeks ago

You would be a fool if you never got round to playing Redemption, it's one game you will continue to play. Also, story wise R* has most definitely come of age.

• LEGO Rock Band DS is the longtime sequel I've been waiting for   8 years 9 weeks ago

Lego Rock Band DS forces you to switch lanes because you have to keep the band players "happy." This is basically a simple gameplay mechanic to keep you moving from instrument to instrument. You can't really linger at all on an instrument after you've completed a portion, you really have to keep moving to the band member that is in danger of not being happy, lol.

Wouldn't call the DS version a music peripheral game.

Also I just looked up a video of it and I see what what's you're talking about in a comparison but it still seems really different from both Frequency and Amplitude :-\ Frequency even almost felt completely outdated by Amplitude (except that it had a really strong/different type of soundtrack). And this kinda feels like two steps back from Freq even. But I suppose they could only do so much on a portable with limited screen space. Also in the video I didn't see any logical instrument switching. Do sections eventually black out like in the originals if you complete so many bars in a row? It didn't really seem like it from the video.

There were a few other music games before those came out also, like Parappa/Umjammer and Space Channel 5. But certainly fairly rare until DDR started getting so massively popular.

And are you saying that we aren't the best gamers in the world? :P Nah, I really liked the difficulty of Frequency and you had to be really precise, unlike some music games (Amplitude seemed a bit more forgiving timing-wise and certainly switching lanes was easier too).

I've never been able to get into the music peripheral games, and this might be one of the few LEGO games I'm just not interested in. Glad to hear it's working its magic on you though.

• How Persona 3 destroyed my love for Japanese RPGs   8 years 9 weeks ago

Well, I'm about two thirds through Persona 4 right now, and let me tell you, I absolutely love it. I haven't played P3, or any other Shin Megami Tensei game aside from the spectacular Strange Story (though I intend to.) The consensus on the internet seems to be that it's Persona 3 with every single flaw in the game fixed.

The dungeon design is much better, for one, and some of the most creative concepts I've seen in a game. So far I've fought my way through a mad scientist dungeon, a gay bathhouse dungeon, a strip club dungeon, and an 8-bit dungeon, each complete with an anime style super-villain boss, a roses encrusted muscle man equipped with male signs (o->) as swords boss, a technicolored pole-dancer boss, and the hero from Dragon Quest, respectively. The social links are much better to, and there isn't a single character that makes me want to wring their necks (see the entire cast of FFXIII). The characters and social links are all genuinely likable, and the whole system is streamlined and improved. Boss battles are much better balanced as well, with much, much less monotonous grinding. Another thing is that the plot picks up right away, rather than P3 that waits half the game to get up and running. It still takes a few hours to get rolling, but once it does, you're in for a ride.

I'm having the best time on the PS2 I've ever had, apart from maybe Silent Hill 2, and once I finish, I fully intend to go out and pick up Digital Devil Saga, or maybe Nocturne. I might even get Persona 3 Portable, since its essentially Persona 3 with all the improvements from Persona 4. Bottom line, you owe it to yourself to see the peak of the Persona line. Its legions ahead of anything else on the PS2, RPG wise, and I've played Final Fantasy X and Xenosaga. Check it out.

• Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow   8 years 9 weeks ago

...is my favorite of the DS games. Incidentally, Aria of Sorrow is my favorite of the GBA games.

Also, the 3D PS2 Castlevanias borrow elements from the 'Metroidvania' games. The second one was a lot better than the first, though. (can't remember the names even though I played them both twice)

• Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow   8 years 9 weeks ago

I think I might actually have Harmony of Dissonance too. Probably played Circle and didn't get to Harmony.

• Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow   8 years 9 weeks ago

Dawn of Sorrow was my first Metroidvania, and I've played all of them since then. They're all great. I also never realized just how quickly they get going, you've already done a lot of stuff. The games could really use is a save point radar or something, though, because save points are really easy to skip sometimes.

• Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow   8 years 9 weeks ago

Circle of the Moon
    Harmony of Dissonance
    Aria of Sorrow
    Dawn of Sorrow
    Portrait of Ruin
    Order of Ecclesia

• Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow   8 years 9 weeks ago

I think Greg should adopt it for the entire site.