• Star Ocean: The Second Story   8 years 44 weeks ago

Thanks for being civil! This was one of the reviews that spurred me to drop the scores altogether for first hour reviews, it's a great decision in my opinion, and this game will stand as a testament to that. The score is definitely something people are immediately drawn to, which is unfortunate, but inevitable. Thanks for the input!

• Star Ocean: The Second Story   8 years 44 weeks ago

I have played through SO2 a number of times with both characters and am well versed with the sheer amount of text packed into the first hour. I am a bit disappointed with the score you gave albeit for the first hour. I am aware that you have played and enjoyed the game too (your comment on SO2 vs. FF7 was decisive) yet be aware that some people do look at the numbers first. Maybe it wasn't wise to review the first hour for this - you knew yourself the pain endured :|

I am always glad when I get out of the Alen story - a feeling of 'and now, the game begins' comes over me! Compare the sheer amount of character development at the start to the complete lack of overall party consistency on Nede. All the other characters (Claude and Rena excluded) become mere props with one-liners. Shame, that. That doesn't detract too much from what is an excellent game - nothing like Claude, Opera, Chisato and Precis (Bowman IS great, but Explosion Pills gets hard to listen to...)!

• 007: Everything or Nothing   8 years 44 weeks ago

That was a cool mission, the handling of the Cayenne just seemed a little off somehow. I never felt like I knew what I was doing; it didn't make me feel like Bond, and the on-foot sections are really good at that.

• Golden Axe: Beast Rider   8 years 44 weeks ago

This game is super niche, I think that's why it reviewed so poorly in the mainstream gaming press. At first blush, the beasts seem difficult to control, but the truth is that they are just specifically designed for a certain style of movement. It makes them unique and changes the usefulness of each. I'll tell you, there's nothing better than an enraged mirigore on a densely populated battlefield, particularly with other large beasts in the vicinity. There is one large enemy beast (Demon Wing: it's 15 feet tall and has spiked forelegs) in particular that has an amazing animation for when the mirigore kills it. The Mirigore grabs the enemy by the legs, flips it on it's back, grabs one of its spiked foreclaws and rams it into the side of its head and lets go. The enemy lies there dying like a spider on it's back, legs twitching. It's truly spectacular, and if you work it right, you get to kill about half a dozen of them this way. Fighting them by hand is pretty tough because they fill the entire screen so it's hard to see the cue animations to block effectively.

• I Wanna Be The Guy   8 years 44 weeks ago

And he never touched the game again, to this very day.

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic   8 years 44 weeks ago

I really liked KotOR.

I appreciate turn-based combat as it gives me time to think and plan, so this combat system was perfect for me. It didn't have random battles, and it didn't go to a battle screen, so those two things alone made the battles exciting enough for me. Maybe I'm just easily excitable.

I also was a huge Star Wars fan as a kid (and maybe still am...) so that universe automatically made the game cooler for me.

• Peggle: Dual Shot   8 years 44 weeks ago

I've heard from several sources that Peggle is addictive. I know of one guy who has several copies of it on different systems.

• Golden Axe: Beast Rider   8 years 44 weeks ago
    Hm

Sounds interesting but I usually don't like this type of game. The beast battles seem awesome though.

• 007: Everything or Nothing   8 years 44 weeks ago

Yes I did. I enjoy using anachronisms in my writing, in this case: "whilst pwning." "While killing" would have sufficed, but is uninteresting. +2

• 007: Everything or Nothing   8 years 44 weeks ago

Did you play the level where you're chasing the train and shooting down the helicopters? I thought that was fanstastic, with a very cinematic ending to the level. I'm also a sucker for an invisible porsche. :)

• 007: Everything or Nothing   8 years 45 weeks ago

I've played more of the game and he does say "Bond, James Bond" a couple of missions later.

• 007: Everything or Nothing   8 years 45 weeks ago

I actually didn't really like driving the Cayenne. I am looking forward to the Daytona though.

• Fallout   8 years 45 weeks ago

I agree, fallout is really a great game. I have finished fallout 2 seven times, each time I played it I chose a different way to complete quests. It is so interesting. However I was disappointed with the third fallout, it was not as interesting as previous two parts.

• Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures   8 years 45 weeks ago

Awesome! Now I'm just waiting for them to redp Frogger and Donkey Kong. My life would be complete at that point.

• 007: Everything or Nothing   8 years 45 weeks ago

You used the word "whilst" when "while" would have sufficed. -1

• Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures   8 years 45 weeks ago

If you love Pacman, you will love this movie of a giant sized Pacman terrorizing shoppers in Bournemourh, all in the name of Art.

• 007: Everything or Nothing   8 years 45 weeks ago

I really enjoyed this game. I didn't quite finish it and I don't recall why. Maybe I got stuck. I remember really enjoying driving that porsche cayenne, as well as the Triumph Daytona. Lots of fun gadgets and great cinematic action sequences.

• Enter the Matrix   8 years 45 weeks ago

So I played the game a little more; let's just say, don't look for a full review from me.

One thing I should mention, there's a little hacking mini-game where you use a command line interface to browse the computer on Niobe's hovercraft and find passwords for hidden folders and such. It is way more fun than the main game, I really enjoyed it and played all the way through it (maybe half an hour). You get to access files such as character bios and weapon info, and the ability to watch the movie clips you've already seen during the story mode.

Playing through that mini-game also unlocks a two-player combat mode, where each player picks a character and the duke it out with kung-fu. You can even choose Trinity, and I think if you beat the main game you can play as Neo as well. But it's not fun. It's cool for a minute to see the sweet kung-fu moves, but the fighting isn't deep enough to make it last long.

• Mass Effect: Pinnacle Station   8 years 45 weeks ago

I agree!!!! I am currently waiting for the timer to run out on the subterranean level (I have 104 kills ON INSANITY already), while in the volcanic level it seems almost impossible to get past 20 kills. Major point loss to bioware for this. How could they release such an unbalanced game!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

• Games I simply could not sell   8 years 45 weeks ago

Not sure who you are Mr. Anonymous... but I'm guessing Steve or Aaron? Must be Aaron, because I believe Steve sold his copy. Pathetic!

• Games I simply could not sell   8 years 46 weeks ago

Did you play my copy of Suikoden 2? I still have it... it really is one of the best RPGs ever.

• The Legend of Zelda: The Complete Animated Series   8 years 46 weeks ago

Well hey. I've never watched them. to be honest, I didn't even know that such a thing existed before I looked at this sight. They look like they could be fun! And about the animation . . . well it was the end of the eighties . . so I'll excuse it. But if they did make anyhting out of the Legend of Zelda beside games, I think I'd want it to be a movie.

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic   8 years 46 weeks ago

Great to see another Mass Effect fan that also had trouble getting into Kotor. I really think Bioware has done a great job evolving the Western RPG on the consoles from slow and awkward to exciting and pretty fast paced during the action.

I honestly had no trouble getting into the first hour of Mass Effect, I think I actually gave it a 9/10 when scoring the first hour (don't score them anymore). Maybe I was a little pumped up on adrenaline or something but I loved it. I've been wrong about first hours before, but for me and Mass Effect... love at first sight.

• Sacred 2: Fallen Angel   8 years 46 weeks ago

This is on my list to pickup soon. You mention diablo and the like and isometric perspective. When speaking of games like this on a console, I'm reminded of the Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance series as well as the Champions series on PS2. These were 3rd person isometric games and I remember having similar issues with pulling the camera back "far enough". You could zoom in so close that you could see only your character but you could only zoom out far enough to see the room you were in. So, when people say it's supposed to be this way, I think they're right, but from a third person action gamer perspective, this is a bit challenging.

So, if you liked this game, and don't mind playing older last gen titles, I HIGHLY recommend you pick up the first Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance. I believe it's available on PS2/cube/xbox. It was a blast and sounds very similar, although very linear and the upgrade systems (levels/gear) sound much simpler. But, both of which worked very well.

• Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic   8 years 46 weeks ago

I played this game for about 2 hours, maybe 2 years ago. I'm a huge Star Wars fan and was really looking forward to this game. My reaction to it at the time was not as good. I really struggled with the dialog heavy layout and the cludgy combat controls. I went into it expecting more action and less RPG and I recall being somewhat confused by the whole "hacking" (is that what they called it?) thing where you could, as I recall, scavenge parts off dead robots to be used later?

I've always meant to go back to it with a better mindset. I'm sure it's a fantastic game. I just went into it wrong and that hurt the experience for me.

Also, because I later went on to play and beat Mass Effect, I wanted to give it a second look in light of that experience. Mass Effect is a game for me that really defied my expectations. The first few hours were painfully slow (with HUGE amounts of dialog) but as I got further into the game, I realized that with such a deep universe and surrounding storyline, the game absolutely required a lot of exposition. What started out as a game I really disliked, eventually became a game I fell in love with. I would say 9 times out of ten, the first hour of a game is all you need to know if it is something you'll like. In the case of Mass Effect though, for me, the game really needed more time to get going; time to breathe. After reading your review, I'm wondering if KOTOR might end up being the same type of game for me.