• Gears of War 2   4 years 8 weeks ago

My wife and I just recently played Gears of War and Gears of War 2. I was borrowing some games from a friend of ours, and instead of Modern Warfare 2, the case had Gears of War 2. I received some cash for working and looked up Gears of War and it was only $5 at Gamestop, and I thought "This is basically 360s Halo before Halo 3 came out!" so I picked it up. I had briefly played it before.

I really loved both games, as well as my wife. It gives you a sense of suspense because it feels so important to win. The gunplay, I thought, was fantastic and my wife and I had a blast.

I don't really remember the differences between the two games, it must not have had many, but I was still glad to play it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? It would have been nice to change it up a bit, there is a lot more story in this one. I don't know, I think I may have enjoyed this one more than the first, actually.

Anyway, play through it, you should find some things that are pleasantly different than it's predecessor.

• The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time   4 years 8 weeks ago

This is an amazing game, obviously, but your review was great and fun to read.. thanks!

• Lux-Pain   4 years 8 weeks ago

lux pain is actually preety good i thought, you kinda have to bear with the spelling errors, and the voicees not matching the dialouge did make my head spin a little, but overall i think the game was great, there are three endings? the thing that bothered me the most was on bbs and some other people kept calling mako a "he", i don't think they proof read it. i thought the story was preety deep although kinda hectec at the end.

• Portal   4 years 8 weeks ago

I'm making note here.
    HUGE SUCESS!

• Nintendo Power #257 - Returning to Nintendo Power after Five Years   4 years 8 weeks ago

Sounds like a neat feature, now that NP is so old. It's hard to believe Waluigi is ten years old, and Mario Kart DS ushered in this brave new era of online paradise five years ago.

• Sin & Punishment   4 years 8 weeks ago

Having played through the game once, I can say that the Wii sequel is definitely the superior game. Pointer controls alone make it so much more fun.

• My JRPG Localization Wishlist   4 years 8 weeks ago

This is a really good article and I'm surprised with all the games North American gamers are still not getting. Of course I was aware of Mother 3, but I figured that was just Nintendo being dim. Oddly enough, I've even heard of all of these games and I don't even really follow JRPG news anymore, seems like there would be some decent demand in the US.

• The Saboteur   4 years 8 weeks ago

I started playing this a few months ago too. I actually "called" the full review in the planner google doc. Unfortunately, life has kind of gotten in the way on that point, so I'm glad you liked it enough to do a full review sooner rather than later had I done it. But, since I'm still planning on playing it and reviewing it.....someday, I'm gonna hold off on reading your review so as not to influence my experience (I'm weird like that). I'll probably escalate this on the "to play" list now.

• Aquaria   4 years 8 weeks ago

To all, don't be so impatient. If you want instant gratification, then go and play the FPS games. That's what they are there for.
    :P

• Overrated Game I Played this Generation - Spore   4 years 9 weeks ago

was I ever even the slightest bit interested in this game. Looks like I got lucky and made the right call.

I think Spore would be a good example of gaming version of "the Oscar movies". They are often critical darlings and also often commercial failures. Some games/movies are made to appease the tastes of critics and some are not.

• Overrated Game I Played this Generation - Spore   4 years 9 weeks ago

Never played the full game, but I had a blast with the free creature creator app that they released. I still hop back into it now and again when I just wanna get creative and make some weird monsters. All the reviews basically said this was a letdown, and I even ended up picking up Spore Creatures for the DS because the idea behind Spore is really wonderful, but how it was implemented was not.

• Overrated Game I Played this Generation - Spore   4 years 9 weeks ago

...but when it finally came out and I saw what it was, I was sooo disappointed. When it was first announced I was so excited for it, and I guess you're right, there's nothing it could do except disappoint. With all the hype, you'd think it was designed by Peter Molyneux.

• Sin & Punishment   4 years 9 weeks ago

This is one of a very few games I regret not playing. I'll have to convince someone with a Wii to buy the sequel so I can play it too :P

• I Wanna Be The Guy   4 years 9 weeks ago

Man I tried playing that game I even downloaded it just to see if I could actually pass the few couples of levels. After an hour trying to jump onto the frist platfirm in the apple one I gave up! Couldn't even pass the first level.

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 6   4 years 10 weeks ago

Nice and brief but plenty of discussion going on, great stuff.

Cave Story - I played it on PC over winter break and liked it a lot. Enough so that I decided Pixel deserved my money, so I bought it when it came to WiiWare. Haven't put much time into the WiiWare version, nice to see it getting some recognition, though.

NBA Jam - Yes please. It's coming to PS3 and 360 now as well, so I'll have to decide which version to grab. The arcadey nature fits the Wii perfectly though, but it's usually the case that the HD version will end up better.

• Alpha Protocol   4 years 10 weeks ago

Wow that minigame just looks dumb. People need to stop making stupid minigames for common actions too, maybe someone should write an article about that :P

Didn't Mass Effect use stat-based aiming too? I don't think it was that bad though, but starting with assault rifles seemed pretty poor.

And for the record, I oppose the use of the sega scream in any modern sega games, especially ones like this that have no relevance to the sega experience >_>

• Alpha Protocol   4 years 10 weeks ago

Here's a video of the hacking mini-game so readers can get an idea of what we're talking about.

• Alpha Protocol   4 years 10 weeks ago

Was gonna message you but didn't. I've been playing it a bit too. I think your assessment is spot on. And the mini games!!! Holy cow, I think I failed it about 6 times before I got it right. Uggh. Terrible. This one will most likely be going back to gamefly pretty soon.

• The Gaming Generation   4 years 10 weeks ago

Right now I have a stack of games I don't have time to play. I find myself wishing that games didn't take 20+ hours to finish.

• Half-Life 2   4 years 10 weeks ago

You'll have to try out Episodes 1 & 2. The final battle in episode 2 is one of my favorite levels from any FPS.

• LEGO Rock Band DS is the longtime sequel I've been waiting for   4 years 10 weeks ago

In a way. I've enjoyed a music game or two, but in general it's not something I spend time on. I don't have much affection for LEGO games, so there's really not much here to entice me.

• Picross 3D   4 years 10 weeks ago

I've finished a bit over 250 puzzles now. From the ten second easy puzzles to the ten minute hard ones, I'd say the average has taken me...six minutes? So yeah, that's 25 hours spent playing a $20 game. Definitely worth having unless you can't stand puzzle games.

And I too play the guessing game in the seconds prior to the revelation. I'm usually right, but sometimes way off the mark.

• The Gaming Generation   4 years 10 weeks ago

It seems like you either have one or the other for games, rarely both. Right now I don't have a lot of either, heh. Hopefully when I get some full-time work soon, I'll at least be able to buy all the games I want, even if I never get to really play them.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with an adult playing video games. What's wrong is that there are too many good games out there, I can't possibly keep up with even half of the ones I'd like to play!

• Half-Life 2   4 years 10 weeks ago

Seriously great game for its time, still stands up today. It was such an iconic game with everything circling around it like the source being leaked, Steam being released, such a long-time coming sequel, etc. Maybe the last most singular moment PC gaming had? WoW was rolled out so slow I don't think you could compare them (actually World of Warcraft was only released a week after HL2... never mind). Maybe StarCraft 2 will triumph it, maybe the Orange Box already did?

• Red Dead Revolver   4 years 10 weeks ago

You would be a fool if you never got round to playing Redemption, it's one game you will continue to play. Also, story wise R* has most definitely come of age.