• Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life   4 years 7 weeks ago

for the franchise so I'm probably not objective enough to give my opinion.

I will say this though, the new Guardian of Light game is quite fun. I've not been gaming much lately for personal reasons, but this game might be interesting enough to get me playing again, and even writing again.

• Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life   4 years 7 weeks ago

Honestly, Lara Croft would be like The Godfather compared to the stuff they enjoy watching. Anyway, I've seen the original on television. It was pretty bad, but at least they raided a tomb...I think. There were stone monsters, at least.

• Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars   4 years 8 weeks ago

I feel like this kind of game is counterintuitive on a system like the Wii, but can't speak about it with actual authority.

• Mafia II   4 years 8 weeks ago

I played the demo on PSN and it was pretty good. I started in Vito's apartment and drove to a site where Joe and a Sicilian (think his name was Henry?) were ready to make a hit on some guy. It's got a few hitches in the framerate and the combat isn't perfect, but it's pretty good for an open-world game. There's a surprising bit of personality to help this stand out from other mob games, especially in the music.

• I Wanna Be The Guy   4 years 8 weeks ago

actually this game isn't that hard if you've played A LOT like me so go download the game its awesome!

• Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars   4 years 8 weeks ago

I've been curious about this game, thanks for doing the review. I was thinking about picking it up on the Wii. How do you think it would translate?

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 8   4 years 8 weeks ago

Yeah, I looked up both those voice actors later. Sorry about the noise in the background, I'm not sure how that got through.

• Chrono Trigger 15th Anniversary Tribute   4 years 8 weeks ago

Today is the 15 year anniversary of North American release of Chrono Trigger. Happy birthday CT.

• Memorable Ideas from Unforgettable Games - New Game Plus   4 years 8 weeks ago

I'd say Title Defense is another thing entirely. A wonderful thing that made Punch-Out!! so much more awesome than I expected it to be.

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 8   4 years 8 weeks ago

It's nice that they acknowledged that hearing a familiar voice takes you out of the game. Something else about Mafia II's voicework takes me out of the game, though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

Also, same deal with Robin/Tales of Symphonia. That was also my first "Wow, these two characters have the same voice!" moment that I can remember.

Good discussion, I enjoy listening to these more than most gaming podcasts. What's that noise in the background, though? It was hypnotic during that pause when Greg was catching his train of thought, lol.

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 8   4 years 9 weeks ago

I really like the art style of Bioshock Infinite. And also need to play the original >_<

• Memorable Ideas from Unforgettable Games - New Game Plus   4 years 9 weeks ago

not sure if it qualifies, but the wii version of Punch Out!! had a mode named Title Defense. In it, you fight every single opponent you met with again, and in the exact same order as they were in the Contender competitions (Minor, Major and World Circuits); the big difference, however, is that you're now the champion, and those who lost to you will offer tremendously more difficult fights, as their strategies remix; your duty is to defend your title against them.

• Mass Effect: Electra in Space   4 years 9 weeks ago

Haha, you are definitely right. I plan to write about it soon as there is an insane amount of daddy issues in Mass Effect 2.

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess   4 years 9 weeks ago

Great to hear! We definitely all play at different paces, some people like to rush, some people like to go slow and take it all in. I try to strike a balance between the two, though I admit it seems I didn't get a lot accomplished in Twilight Princess' first hour. Not sure if it was the game or just me though.

• Mass Effect: Electra in Space   4 years 9 weeks ago

It's even worse in ME2. THE DADDY ISSUES DO NOT STOP.

• The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess   4 years 9 weeks ago

in my 1st hour of the game i was way farther than you have been talking about in the first hour i was in the dungeon. I have been playing zelda games since i was 7 years old. I am now 11 and I hav completed ocarina of time, a link to the past , twilight princess, and wind waker. and going to complete skyward sword with one swift motion of the wii remote. i'm a girl too! i learned how to play twilight princess from my brother but my dad taught me how to play the rest. :)

• Infinite Space   4 years 9 weeks ago

I didn't realize that the Dodge command lasted until your next command. I guess I should get back into this game.

• Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game   4 years 9 weeks ago

She's my favorite as well, though Stills is a close second. All of the playable characters are bursting with personality even with just their limited collection of sprites, though, so you really can't go wrong with anybody.

• Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game   4 years 9 weeks ago

Great review! I am counting down the days for this to hit Xbox Live. My fiancee and I are really looking forward to co-op together, but we're gonna have to fight over control of Kim Pine.

• Infinite Space   4 years 9 weeks ago

When in battle you will see the action on the top screen as well as your ships HP yes? On the touch screen will be your command panel and the smaller enemy ships. There is a thin aura around it (like 1-2 pixels) THAT is the level of the enemy's command gauge. red=full yellow=medium green=low, depending on its level the enemy will preform a different action. High gauge will make the enemy launch a barage while a low gauge will only let it dodge.

Basic Battle Strategy:
    1. Battle start, hit dodge and wait
    2. enemy gauge fills as does yours
    3. They launch barrage
    4. It misses you completely
    5. Launch normal or barrage
    6. Direct hit
    7. wait for gauge to fill, when able immediately hit dodge.

Dodge lasts until you do another command so use it often! Sorry if I am kind of rambling that's just the way I talk, I hope this helps.

• Nintendo Finds Religion   4 years 9 weeks ago

...or should that be reLEGION? See, I can make punny monsters too.

I played, but never beat Dragon Quest VIII. Dragon Quest IX shares a lot of similarities to its predecessor, both in looks and style. However, I can't recall religion being so heavy and in-your-face in DQXIII. Sure, you still had to pray at a church to save your game, and there were a couple of abbeys to visit and priests to converse with, but the main quest was never so into the Almighty and capturing magical fruit (hello, Adam; hello, Eve) and gathering benevolence from lowly villagers to appease a great glowing tree. Yet, despite its overbearing nature, the religion in DQ9 doesn't bother me, and I know why--there's so much other stuff to keep me busy. I can do side quests, I can grind for levels, I can grind for alchemy items, I can make alchemy items, I can explore bookshelves or old caves or treasure maps...and so on. I'm about 45 hours in, and just passed a part that was All Religion, All the Time. It *was* tough to sit through, but now I'm once again free to do whatever I want.

Also, I feel like I should mention I use a priest in my party of 4 and he's a great healer/buffer, but he's also mighty with a spear. This ain't no normal priest to say the least.

• Nintendo Finds Religion   4 years 9 weeks ago

I never understood what the motivation behind doing this was... Were they afraid of offending Christians or non-Christians? I can't really see either being offended by a video game reference to God.

In the SNES era, Breath of Fire 2 managed to escape scrutiny... I mean, (spoilers) you're basically fighting an evil version of the Catholic church at the end. That, and the last boss has an uncanny resemblance to Jesus. (end spoilers)

• Nintendo Finds Religion   4 years 9 weeks ago

Sin & Punishment Star Successor apparently had some pseudo-religious references cut from the game. An entity known as "God" in Japanese was changed to "The Creators" for the west. Whatever you call it, it was never actually seen in the game and was barely mentioned more than two or three times, so I guess maybe they decided it would be easy to change, unlike in DQIX where the overarching theme and setting are sort of religious.

• Gears of War 2   4 years 9 weeks ago

I called it "shooter deja vu" in my first hour review of the game, but was always hoping there'd be something new.

• Gears of War 2   4 years 9 weeks ago

I felt the same way. Except, for me, the feeling started something like 2 hours into the first game.