• Pilotwings 64   7 years 31 weeks ago

This is one of my favorite games of all time. You did a very good job with your review, I like the style you use. I think you need to give the music another listen to as you didn't praise it near enough!

• Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled   7 years 31 weeks ago

I'm avoiding this on my RPG blitz, that's for sure.

• Bully   7 years 32 weeks ago

I beat it a long time ago on the PS2 and really liked it, a much tighter experience than some of the recent Grand Theft Auto games.

• Bully   7 years 32 weeks ago

I got it last week and I finished today :D
    I think if you played the whole game you would've given it more for plot, since I was super surprised at the end.
    I guess that's what happens when you fall in-love with Gary x'DDD

• GoldenEye 007   7 years 32 weeks ago

YA BOY

• My Gaming History   7 years 32 weeks ago

Man. Did you not play Final Fantasy IV and VI on the SNES? Those and Chrono Trigger were a must. Squaresoft had a midas touch.

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night   7 years 32 weeks ago

This is one of the greatest games ever made half of my sleeve is characters from this game I loved it. Yeah it's a little slow going in the beginning but then you just get sucked into it and you can't stop playing you can put a solid 20 hours+ if you want to get all of the seemingly endless weapons you can find and all the spells to learn it is just amazing

• Enslaved: Odyssey to the West   7 years 32 weeks ago

It's interesting to read your impressions with no foreknowledge of the game. Being a fan of Heavenly Sword, Ninja Theory and agile redheads in video games, this was on my radar from the start. I made it a bit further than you did in your first hour, plus having played the demo and then just kind of set it down. Not because I didn't like, I actually did, but just because I have a hard time playing anything more than a couple of hours these days. I absolutely intend to finish this one.

I really enjoyed the interaction between Monkey and Trip, both in game and during the cutscenes. I really missed the voicings of Anna Torv from Heavenly Sword though. She really brought out the brash and husky voice that makes a character like this really leap off the screen.

What I didn't like was that the illusion of freeform movement evaporated pretty quickly. I'm a big fan of modern Tombraider games and this is another reason I really anticipated this one. However, this game pretty much won't let you jump anywhere unless there is something to grab.
    Thats fine from a "we won't let you die by complete accident" stand point, but it ends up shining a light on the paths you're "supposed" to take. I realize that every game has designed paths, but the good ones like TombRaider or Uncharted for example (perhaps Assassins Creed is the best at this), do a good job of making you feel like you're actually using the environment, rather than jumping between set points left by the designers.

There were several points where I felt like I SHOULD be able to jump and that there SHOULD be a ledge there, but there was not and I couldn't even try. That was very jarring.

Otherwise, I really liked the look of the world, and the controls worked pretty well. Look forward to reading your full review of the game should you finish it.

• Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands   7 years 33 weeks ago

I have to say, I'm pretty shocked just how much effort went into all these separate adaptations of a movie tie-in. I mean, it's not like it's a AAA game, but for all the SKUs going on and being rushed to meet the movie's deadline, Ubisoft seems to have put out a decent product on each platform.

• Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands   7 years 33 weeks ago

You forgot the PSP version -- yet another storyline.

• Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands   7 years 33 weeks ago

It is downright hilarious seeing the cover of this game right next to the movie poster. Everything from the pose to the frown is the exact same! Makes me wonder why they didn't just remake the Sands of Time, seems like a typical Ubisoft maneuver.

• Fable III   7 years 33 weeks ago

While it's difficult to go into any game without preconceptions, it was very hard for me with Fable III. I had just come off of playing and beating Fable II, and ultimately being quite disappointed. To say my mind was made up would be false, but I will admit that Fable III had to be pretty dang good for me to go on. I felt burned by the rest of Fable II after its first few hours and I didn't want that to happen again.

• Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time   7 years 33 weeks ago

I don't think we'll ever get a decent movie adaptation of a video game as long as big movie studios are buying up all the rights. There aren't many people who understand how to translate a video game's essence (or even its narrative) into a non-interactive medium...and I certainly doubt any of them are the Hollywood execs churning out explosion flicks and the same two or three horror movies for massive profit.

• Dwarf Fortress   7 years 33 weeks ago

If you are going to continue playing, I would suggest updating to the most recent version and using a graphics pack. Its still limited, but it is a little more distinguished.
    this is the one i use.
    Some of the menus are straightened out now, to be more standardized, but still a few things need work. The UI is pretty bad in some places, but a heck of alot better than the 2008 versions.

• 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors   7 years 33 weeks ago

You should pick this up again. Seriously, you'll do yourself a huge favour. Forget everything you've experienced about visual novels in the past - this isn't one of them. Lux Pain looks horrible, and Hotel Dusk is as interesting as watching paint dry. But 999 is one of the best games I ever played on any platform - and I'm not a huge fan of VN's myself.
    And don't worry about the multiple endings for now. You'll probably return to the game automatically after reaching one of it's endings.
    The game is much more than your typical "escape the room" game, although the first hour gives you another impression. And it IS very text heavy, but it is a brilliant story, so if you pick it up again with an open mind, it can actually be a good thing.

• Fable III   7 years 33 weeks ago

You went into this game with your mind already made up. How dare games try to incorporate a story!

• 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors   7 years 33 weeks ago

Lux Pain looks awful, and I found Hotel Dusk as interesting as watching paint dry. That being said, I really wish you would pick up this game much more. Even for someone who haven't been that lucky with visual novels, I'm sure you'll find this game really really interesting. Even I, who isn't much of a VN fan, consider this game one of the best game experiences I've ever had.
    First of all, I can certainly see why you would have doubts about this game. It is veeery text heavy, and the whole "tutorial" in the start is just ridiculous. However, you are yet to discover what the game is actually about.
    When I picked this game up, I didn't know what to expect, and the first hour felt like a pain. Im not sure why I chose to continue it, but if you have an open mind, and surrender yourself to the story, you'll soon see that it is actually a very interesting game. The whole first level might feel like a typical escape-the-room game, but it's really different from those. You are yet to discover the eight other people, that the game revolves around, and while they at first seem like awful, japanese anime stereotypes, you'll soon discover that it's just their looks (well, except for that white haired guy..sigh..), and that the characters themselves are quite interesting. You are also yet to discover the 9 doors that the game revolves about. There are certain rules you have to abide, before you can walk through those doors, and the whole objective is to find the exit, that is marked with a 9. This also plays as a gameplay factor - the doors you chose, is basically what decides how the game will end. And even though I normally hate games with several endings, you don't really mind getting a bad one, as it is so well written that it doesn't matter. The last "gameplay" factor, is actually also about the different endings. After getting several bad endings, you'll begin to see what actually needs to be done for you to reach the true ending. If you, one day, find yourself with nothing to do, pick this up again, and expect a book as much as a game. If you're open minded enough, I can assure you that it won't be a waste of time, like most visual novels.

Just my two cents, sorry for the terrible english.

• Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time   7 years 33 weeks ago

I think you're right. I think it's a bit of both.

A further humorous oddity about Centurion is that the main Pict (pre-scottish) villain is actually a Ukrainian actress (Olga Kurylenko of 007 fame). So naturally, in the story, her tongue was cut out and she doesn't have a single line.

So, you've got this movie about scots killing romans but in reality its russians killing irishmen. Neither of which look anything LIKE each other.

• Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time   7 years 33 weeks ago

You are probably right on the head of the issue with the idea that British = foreign to Americans. My example of the Prince's family surprised me even more so when I found out that all three of them are British, and of course, Ben Kingsley and Gemma Arterton hail from the UK too. Even Alfred Molina who I didn't mention in the review but plays a re-occurring role was born in London. Essentially the only actor not from the UK is Gyllenhaal.

A bit more research reveals that the director was English and one of the studios behind it is a huge visual effects company based out of England. So I don't know anymore if it was just casting to pander to Americans or if they mostly hired Brits because the crew was English. Probably a bit of both, but it's definitely curious.

• Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time   7 years 33 weeks ago

I've not watched this yet, but being a big fan of the first modern PofP game, probably will.

This had me rolling. "The first thing that stands out about Prince of Persia is the extreme whiteness of all the main characters."

Great take away and so true.

This is related but is slightly different than your further comment.

" I understand ...you want bankable actors.., but don’t round out the supporting cast with Englishmen."

This I think is not so much the whiteness issue as the incredibly pervasive Hollywood perception that foreign culture presented to Americans must be done so with british actors if not outright british accents. Somehow they believe that to Americans "foreign" = British.

I just watched Centurion (also free on Netflix and not a terrible movie) and several of the KEY roman soldiers also spoke with british accents.
    I would have been able to swallow this, since the movie was taking place in ancient Britain, but for the fact that the "romans" constantly pined throughout the movie to go home to their native Rome. I'm sorry, but does this man look like a Roman?

• Onimusha: The Best Series Everyone Already Forgot About   7 years 33 weeks ago

I agree, I don't really want to play onimusha dawn of dreams but I heard samanosuke is in it as saki different disquise or something. After Onimusha Warlords and Onimusha Samari's Destiny they made Onimusha Blade Warriors... so after Onimusha 3 and Onimusha dawn of dreams I am hoping they make a Onimusha Blade Warriors A Tale Of Destiny (I don't know, Onimusha Blade Warriors 2 sounds kind of lame)

• 2010-2011 NHL Regular Season and 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs   7 years 33 weeks ago

As a Flyers fan I was disappointed by this.

But then checked the current standings and felt better.

• Assassin's Creed II   7 years 33 weeks ago

LOL, I have to admit, this kinda makes me want to go back and play it knowing this. I actually have the game right now again, so who knows what will happen.

• Assassin's Creed II   7 years 33 weeks ago

The guards become less aware as the game moves on. Don't ask me how that makes sense. I guess your a pretty well known guy before you decide to dress up like a gay masonic mercenary.

• Radiant Historia   7 years 34 weeks ago

I'm having a great time so far as well. Clever battle system, appropriate challenge, great pacing, solid story. I'm not as keen on the graphics as you are, though. The sprites are a bit basic and I'm seeing a lot of seams between tiles in the 3D environment, actually. Still, it looks more than good enough and certainly not ugly by DS standards.