• Gratuitous Space Battles   8 years 24 weeks ago

It almost sounds more like a super elaborate puzzle game hidden in the guise of a strategy game. Very nicely done review Greg. I like it.

• Mass Effect 2   8 years 24 weeks ago

The hacking mini-games were pretty easy. One is just matching the symbol pairs (like the card game Old Maid). The other is trying to match the code chunks to the ones displayed at the top. The only problem I had with them was sometimes the circuit points were far enough away that I couldn't click the second of a pair before the timer on the first ran out. Those would take 10-15 tries to get but I'd still be able to make before the game timer ran out.

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 3   8 years 24 weeks ago

Ah yes, because that was the one Zhang kept taking lol

• Mass Effect 2   8 years 24 weeks ago

The datapad hacking wasn't hard to figure out at all. It tells you how to solve it before you start the actual hacking (Code segment that you have to select is at the top of the screen, you have to pick 3 different code segments)

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 3   8 years 24 weeks ago

That was calculus 1.

T.A. while passing out papers:
    "Greg Noe? Haha, that's like Dr. No from James Bond, cool."

I got an AB in that class when I thought I would get a C.

Calc 2 was where I failed the first two exams and got an A on the last two... I didn't play any video games the second half of that class.

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 3   8 years 24 weeks ago

wait was that calc2 the class you were supposed to have failed but got free grades cause he liked your name? >_>

• The First Hour Podcast - Episode 3   8 years 24 weeks ago

should've gone Tali

• Diddy Kong Racing   8 years 24 weeks ago

I have to agree with the first comment, because this game was awesome for its time.

• Jet Force Gemini   8 years 25 weeks ago

you are way to critical in your review of this game, yes the camera fucks up from time to time and yes the manual aiming is a pain but overall this was one of rares finest moments
    as for story i believe that the lack of explanation was on purpose, questions like "who are juno and vela?" "who is mizar and why does he hate teddy bears so much?" are all left to the individual gamers opinion and perception.
    p.s. if u actually play through the whole game it explains a lot of shit

• L!ght Deluxe   8 years 25 weeks ago

I used to have a board game like this, where you'd lay down cards with pictures of different shaped pipes on them and had to line them up to get the water flowing right.

• L!ght Deluxe   8 years 25 weeks ago

It also reminds me of a minigame that I think was in the first Bioshock. Where there was a liquid flowing through a pipe and you had to move pieces of pipe around to make sure the liquid made it to the final destination. While similar in concept to a game like this, due to the design in L!ght Deluxe, they're able to make far more elaborate puzzles.

• L!ght Deluxe   8 years 25 weeks ago

I think I remember a minigame like this in dragon age :P

• Best Legend of Zelda game of the decade   8 years 25 weeks ago

1. The Wind Waker
    2. Majora's Mask
    3. Twilight Princess

The entire series is great, though.

• Mister Mosquito   8 years 25 weeks ago

This is a very weird game...

• Final Fantasy VIII   8 years 25 weeks ago

I actually loved this game. I only played a demo of it though and couldnt remember 6 years later what FF it was. Lol . But now I do and I will go and play. This game is to me one of the BEST FF games there are. The newer ones seemed drawn into too much story. Some plot is nice. Too much and it loses my interests through the cut scenes. :P

• The Most Cinematic Moments in Gaming History   8 years 26 weeks ago

Yeah, this list makes me want to make my own. The Lan Di helicopter scene was epic and heartbreaking. Shenmue 2 should have ended there.

And FF6 is chock full of great scenes, along with the opera scene (and the burning building, and the end of the world, and many more), my favorite cinematic scene was the opening with the mechs walking across the snowy plains.

• The Most Cinematic Moments in Gaming History   8 years 26 weeks ago

Nice article!

That final boss battle against Sephiroth in FFVII is so epic. Love the almost Psycho-like stab of the violins in the song, and it stays with me most fondly because I finally had a good reason to use the Knights of the Round summon that I worked on getting for a few nights (silly chocobo racing). But yeah, it's a great one overall.

• The Most Cinematic Moments in Gaming History   8 years 26 weeks ago
    hmm

Very nice article, but no Shenmue love :( eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uZLnbgbvs The buildup to and presentation of this scene is probably still the best I've seen. Both the local buildup and buildup over the series to that point was nothing short of amazing directing. Unfortunately the voice acting seems even worse compared to today's VA. Couldn't find any subbed versions on a quick look :-\ Also I was actually just reading about the Kowloon walled city yesterday, pretty interesting.

And I'd probably pick a ton of other ff6 scenes over that one personally :P Opera scene, the entire ending, Celes' attempted suicide, Locke/Rachel, Cyan's castle, (maybe anyone's personal stories tbh), phantom train... all incredible.

• Super Bowl XLIV   8 years 27 weeks ago

The arcade version of this game is one of the only arcade games I've ever deemed worthy of putting quarters into.

• Super Bowl XLIV   8 years 27 weeks ago

good choice of game lol

• The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks   8 years 27 weeks ago

I wish I got paid to add points to the score!

• The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks   8 years 27 weeks ago

Nintendo pays people off so they add a mystery +2 to any zelda game

• The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks   8 years 27 weeks ago

This was actually due to a publisher error. The Overall score is 8, the Value of the game is 9. The error has been corrected, for those of you scratching your heads.

• The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks   8 years 27 weeks ago

So, not to be too nit-picky or anything, but how does a game have an overall score of 9 when each aspect of the game was given scores of either 8 or 7?

• Hotel Dusk: Room 215   8 years 28 weeks ago

it's a game that is supposed to utilize the DS, and I thought it did just that.
    Not an actiony game, it is a visual novel.
    needs an unbiased review.